Creating My Own Google Map

Creating My Own Google Map

I studied abroad in Scotland last Spring, so I tried to create a Google Map that was my typical walk from my flat in Edinburgh to a lecture hall on the University of Edinburgh’s campus. My walk – created on Google Maps – was actually not very easy to make and frustrating. I could create and drop multiple pins down, but drawing the route that I took between my flat and class was not easy. The line would be about 4 blocks over from what I wanted, no matter where I dropped the pin. I think that the collaboration feature of the map is probably the most useful utility of creating your own Google Maps, if the lined route feature would work. I figured the map would be useful as a university walking guide, because you could take/show shortcuts that don’t follow main roads, similar to the campus of Mary Washington.

I have used Google Earth before, but I have not downloaded it to my currant laptop. As Tim was saying in class, Google Earth acts faulty on older computers. I have a 2008 Macbook that, I believe, would not be able to use Google Earth to its full potential.  I think that both Google Earth and Google Maps are extremely useful and effective tools for digital history projects, especially the collaborative feature. For my group’s project of archiving James Farmer’s Lectures, we had all collectively agreed that it is unnecessary to use Google Earth or Maps for our project.

4 Responses

1. I can understand your frustration with the tools.

I’m curious though about the notion that Farmer’s lectures don’t have any relation to maps. They are, as I recall, full of mentions of specific places that he was at. In fact, most of his stories were about what was happening in Birmingham or Selma or Plaquemine, Louisiana. I’m not saying your group has to use Maps/Earth, just that it shouldn’t be because it’s not relevant.

2. I mentioned in my other post the website mapmyrun.com. If you were really curious to see your typical walk to class and see how long it is distance wise this is an awesome website. I’m an avid runner so I love this website to map runs when I’m visiting somewhere. In that respect, I think this website works better than Google maps actually. I had some of the same frustrations when using google maps and I have a netbook so I could not access the full capabilities of Google earth. To me, having to download Google Earth onto my teeny tiny computer was scary. I don’t think I would ever really use Google Earth for my everyday life so I deleted it right away.

3. I know what you mean about the frustration that goes into making a map with Google Maps. I had problems in regards to drawing my map as well. For some reason the map wouldn’t pick my destination at the end of the route and I had to stop the line across the street. Hopefully those bugs will be fixed as they continue to improve the program.

In regards to relevance maps has to your project, I agree with Dr. McClurken that you could possibly map out where he had the lectures as a fun on the side thing. Going into teaching, we are constantly reminded to explain and display information in as many ways as possible. Showing a physical layout of where he gave his lectures may reiterate just how mobile and far-reaching James Farmer was in the Civil Rights movement.

4. I agree! I had so many problems drawing between my points! And then once I got to where I was going I couldn’t get the path to stop drawing!! It was very frustrating. I think that there was circle you had to click on to make the path stop. It usually was near you placemarker. That generally madee it easier for me…though I could never get it actually where I wanted the road.