Meeting with Professor Ferrell

Meeting with Professor Ferrell

I met with Professor Ferrell on Tuesday, September 1st to discuss my topic of interest, Prohibition.  I went in there with a few broad ideas of what I wanted to discuss in my paper. I asked about the increased crime rate during the thirteen years of the 18th amendment and she asked me, “Well, what about the increased crime rate would you want to talk about?” I knew then that I had to focus my topic down to a more narrow point, and definitly cover the, ‘so what?’ factor that everyone is trying so hard to get. She gave me a few ideas of her own, just as examples of a good, narrow, persuasive topic. She discussed the difference between the 30’s and the 20’s Prohibition and what the Depression had to do with reinstating the production of alcohol. She also suggested researching the family dynamic shift during these times, the doctor’s perspective on alcoholism during this time, and focusing in on a city or person of crime using Chicago and Al Capone as examples. Professor Ferrell helped me use our online Simpson Library resources here at Mary Washington and even helped me find the primary source that I used for the previous assignment. She recommended that I see Jake Bales in the library sometime this semester so that he can point me in the right direction for where to find the best resources for my specific topic.