Wikipedia

Wikipedia

I looked up Argentine War of Independence for my Wikipedia history blog post. This is because I just finished reading Regina Root’s book, Couture & Consensus: Fashion and Politics in Postcolonial Argentina for Professor Poska’s Women in Latin America class. I figured it would be a good background to start some basic research for what actually occurred during the War of Independence in order to understand the Postcolonial world of Argentina, seeing as I don’t know too much about Argentina’s history.

I looked under the Talk tab for this article, and there were some good points brought up that were obviously brought to light by users (most likely scholars) that may need editing or change. Not only is Wikipedia available for anybody to edit, therefore losing it’s academic credibility, many historical articles can be viewed as being biased and not objective enough for a simple encyclopedic entry.

Because the subject of the article brings about proper citations, the legitimacy of the article may be okay. What one has to remember about historical Wikipedia articles is that the writers are generally subjective – as seen by the use of only two sources on this particular entry. It is a good source to find bibliographic information for research purposes, but the bias of the historian will always be there as well as the obvious fact that the articles are open for anybody to create false information.

One Response