Introduction: Digital History

Introduction: Digital History

I’m Laura, a senior, double major in Classics and History, and I will be graduating this May.

I have recently become interested in the digitization of historical artifacts and materials when I began working as an intern at the Fluvanna County Historical Society in the Summer of 2009. I started as an unpaid intern, and worked my way up to Senior Intern the past two summers. I created a Facebook page for the society, as well as a Twitter account and even worked on a collaborative digital history project – Piedmont Virginia Digital History Project – I have worked with PastPerfect software and even have experience in displaying museum exhibits.

All of this experience prompted me to look into graduate programs that specialize in museum studies, but more specifically with a focus on digital management. I applied to a few programs and decided to accept a conditional offer to the University of Glasgow for Information Management and Preservation(Digital) that I will begin in September of 2012. I am so excited to go study in Scotland for an entire year! So once I complete the one year masters program I will be accredited by both the Archives & Records Association and CILIP (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals) to hopefully become a digital curator.

Needless to say, this class will give me a great background on collaborative work and digitizing history! Working with the James Farmer group I think will be one of the most rewarding projects that will not only impact the University community but anyone who is interested in James Farmer’s incredible work during the Civil Rights Movement, the Freedom Rides, or the formation of CORE.